Not too long ago I was at Joe’s Crab Shack and I don’t know if you’ve ever been, but about every hour or so, the entire wait staff goes to the middle of the restaurant and does a dance, whether it’s the YMCA, electric slide, or cupid shuffle. I thought to myself, my, not only is it entertaining, but what a great way to stay energized throughout the shift…I was telling my office staff about it, and they decided to adopt their own way of energizing themselves with a mid-day dance party behind closed doors, with music of their choice… So, mid-afternoon every day I hear about 3 minutes of music and I know they are blowing off steam and having some fun. Yes, it sounds silly but the truth is, we all need a little silly to keep us sane. A lot of times, my folks are working on computers and even though we have techniques we use to stay on point and focused, this is a fun way to break the day up and keep it lively. (And it doesn’t take long). What I really love about this is it brings out the “Kid” in them and they are more creative and actually love working with me!
I know we all work really hard and sometimes get stressed. Here are some of the other techniques we use to increase concentration and creativity, or if we’re “stuck” on something:
- Take a five-minute brisk walk. Walking is physical activity that stimulates circulation and is a change of pace for quiet concentration and it activates other parts of your brain for problem solving. Plus walking works off frustration and pounds.
- Do some active relaxation. (You should set side just a few minutes a day to really relax to keep yourself creative with clear thinking.)
- Practice “focused thinking.” This is a way of centering your mind actively on your work. When your mind wanders, grab it and drag it back to the topic at hand. Don’t give in an inch. You may find this focused thinking brutally difficult at first, but soon your mind will adjust.
So really, there are two lessons here:
- What are we seeing in our environment that we can use to benefit ourselves and staff in our businesses? (Like the dance party idea…not only is it a fun stress-reducer, but it keeps our energy up)
- What are you doing as the role model (leader) in your business and to your kids to support and nurture your life and business? If other people who you influence observe you doing fun and stress-relieving things, you will be enhancing the quality of their lives as well as yours.
You should give it a try—you never know what creative brainstorm idea will emerge because you’re having fun!!!
Love and Light
P.S. Looking for other ways to Energize and Motivate Your Staff?? Check out My Complete Entrepreneurial Assistant’s Training and Motivation System